Print Page | Sign In | Join NCRPA
P&R Questions & Answers
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
>
>>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Opening of Public Swimming Pools 7 W. Small Swansboro will be opening the Splash Pad once we move into Phase 3. We are still working on the details, but would be very interested is hearing what other departments are doing in terms of monitoring/staffing, etc.
by A. Stanley
17 hours ago
Mutual Use Agreements 0 J. Clelland Siler City Parks and Recreation is working with our local schools to form a Mutual Use Agreement. If your department has a mutual use agreement with your local schools would you be willing to share that document with us? Thanks.   Jack Clelland, CYSA Siler City Parks and Recreation Directorjclelland@silercity.org  
by J. Clelland
Friday, May 29, 2020
MOU / Lease Agreement with Church / Civic Org 0 D. TURNER We are wondering if there is a department that has a Memorandum of Understanding or Lease Agreement with a church, civic organization, etc. (not schools) to manage/operate their building/gym for programming, rentals, etc. If so, would you please share your documents with us? Thank you! Dee Turner, CPRP Pender County Parks and Recreation Supervisor dturner@pendercountync.gov
by D. TURNER
Thursday, May 28, 2020
Travel Restrictions for Your Agency? 0 S. Hagwood The City of Raleigh has implemented travel restrictions, and I serve on board of the Environmental Educators of North Carolina. We are planning for our state conference in September, and I am trying to get a feel for how many people might be restricted from actually traveling out of county. If your organization has implemented travel restrictions due to either COVID19 or budget reasons, please let me know so I can bring that information to a board meeting in a few weeks. Thanks! Stacie L. Hagwood, Director Walnut Creek Wetland Park Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources stacie.hagwood@raleighnc.gov
by S. Hagwood
Thursday, May 28, 2020
Transportation for Off Site Programs 0 S. Goodwin I am wondering if anyone has begun any type of transportation for off site programs you may be offering.  I am looking to take some of my adult/senior participants on some nature hikes at parks around our area.  I have a 15 passenger van and would only allow 6 in the van with a mask and sanitized hands.  Thanks for your input. 
by S. Goodwin
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Adding COVID-19 Restrictions to Rental Agreements, Waivers & Release Forms 2 Lincolnton Parks & Recreation We have just added a new COVID-19 waiver for our summer camp participants.
by Cornelius Parks, Arts, Recreation & Culture
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Athletic equipment and Covid-19 0 G. Soney I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has started to look at creating policy in regards to shared equipment like catchers gear and how to handle the distribution and regulation of it. We are trying to figure out the safest and most realistic way to go about this.
by G. Soney
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Pool Reopenings 0 R. JONES Are there any ideas as to how to provide social distancing when pools reopen, particularly in reference to initial admittance in to pools.  Specifically, general use outdoor community pools procedures that address patron social distancing as they wait to enter the pool and while they are utilizing the pool and/or general guidelines of opening pools based on the recommended restrictions.   Thanks!   Ryan Jones Monroe Parks and Recreation
by R. JONES
Thursday, May 21, 2020
sponsorship signeage 0 S. McGlamery At the end of 2019, our county commissioners approved our sponsorship package.  We have offerings for baseball fields, playgrounds, picnic shelters and benches, just to name a few.  Does your department have specific sizes for your sponsorship signs?  Specifically, right now, we are looking for sign sizes for a picnic shelter.  We appreciate your help with this! stacy.mcglamery@co.iredell.nc.us
by S. McGlamery
Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Community Events Policy 0 N. Sloop Hello. I am looking to create/update our current events policy that is outdated. I have a basic Idea of what we are looking for as far as requirements and guidelines/fees/insurances etc. however, if anyone has a policy they would like to share for events in Parks or Community Events/Special Events held by someone other than you, and do not mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it.  nsloop@mooresvillenc.gov 
by N. Sloop
Monday, May 18, 2020
Naming Rights Policy 1 Surf City Parks and Recreation Hi Chad.There was a similar question on the NRPA Open Forum from 2019, with many examples. If you have an NRPA membership, sign in to your account and use the link below. Hope this helps. https://connect.nrpa.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=17b51af8-8678-491d-885a-7f30aa9a7f1e&CommunityKey=7bafe8ea-31b8-48d6-962f-dddfac853daa&tab=digestviewer#bm17b51af8-8678-491d-885a-7f30aa9a7f1e
by G. O'Connell
Wednesday, May 13, 2020
Campground Registration Software 0 Reidsville Parks and Recreation At the lake Reidsville Park, we have a 46 site campground and shelter rentals.  Can anyone recommend a really friendly reservation type software to use besides the major ones like Activenet?    
by Reidsville Parks and Recreation
Thursday, May 7, 2020
Phasing In Programs 0 T. Clark I wanted to reach out and see how other department's were planning to phase in programs/athletics once restrictions are decreased and lifted. Has anyone made any plans on how they will handle crowds/spectators or anything of that nature at this time?   Thanks Tim Clark Athletic Director  Lumberton Recreation Department  
by T. Clark
Monday, April 27, 2020
Use of School District's Bus for Summer Camps 5 D. TURNER Update...I was notified last week that our school transprtaion department is not leasing out buses this summer due to COVID-19. No field trips this summer!Kristy
by Pineville Parks and Recreation
Friday, April 24, 2020
Disc Golf Private Groups 4 J. Keel Quote: Originally posted by M. SINK: We have a very strong local disc golf club that has been highly involved in our, and many other local disc golf facilities, from the beginning. We have grown that relationship to be an informal partnership, where we work together on projects, course development & maintenance, and a few tournaments the Town can now put its name on. With this relationship, we have asked the club to act as the a kind of approval board regarding larger events on our courses. So if a smaller group wants to use our course for lets say at night golf event, they would reach out to the club first to make sure it doesn't conflict with other local disc golf events. The club would contact us to make sure park staff are aware and that we don't overbook should there be other special events going on in the park. You may also be having difficulty if the groups you are dealing with are not formalized but still have a strong ownership of the course(s). Many times each course will a small devoted club. It may be beneficial to reach out to your local groups and encourage them to create a formal club. Then they would have a direct conduit to communicate tournaments and events, and you can better utilize there volunteering capacities. Our club also keeps us informed of issue on the course and maintenance needs. Unless your facility is in a gated park or patrolled, it is probably not worth trying to charge for course use. What has worked for us is trading volunteer hours, for course use. So having the club keeping the course maintained can be the trade-off for when they want to use the course for events. We have gotten to a point in our relationship with the club that we have dedicated courses steward volunteers. We have worked with them long enough that we can trust they understand how to properly address issues with limited oversight, and they have a lot of ownership in the process.   I am very involved in the disc golf community and the model Mike uses in Cary is pretty standard for most departments that have a strong disc golf club/volunteer presence.  I have heard of a few departments requiring those clubs to have insurance over there events but very few actually charge the clubs for use of the course because the money typically goes back into the communities courses and the club is all volunteer based.  If a club is not present and the maintenance and improvements are mostly done by the parks department and outside traveling "Tours" want to use the course I think that would be the situation that charging makes sense.  
by P. Bowles
Friday, April 24, 2020
Reopening Recreation and Fitness Center 1 J. HUFFMAN Hi James, we too are in the talks of how to handle reopening our facility. I reached out to NRPA yesterday and they had just met discussing these topics. They are hoping to offer some guidance on this so be on the lookout! But to answer your questions based on general discussion: Are you limiting the amount of people allowed in an exercise area and how to enforce social distancing? We have an inside walking track, as well as cardio equipment in each corner of the track. We are thinking the cardio equipment will not be utilized when we have walkers on the track. We are anticipating having to limit the number of participants on the track in order to maintain social distancing. We have a small fitness room and will only allow 1 person in that area.Group exercise classes. Our classes are held in a large gymnasium, we are thinking to designate spots to station participants. Great idea! We are potentially looking at moving classes to the gym to accommodate the spacing, but this will depend on how we handle other aspects of programming.Open gym time. Will you allow time for pick up basketball? Unsure of what this might look like at the time because of the distancing aspect. Reach out for further discussion if you wish!
by C. King
Tuesday, April 21, 2020
July 4th 2 S. Paschal We are working on a few contingency plans as well though we are not sure if any of the are viable options.  We have contracts with vendors, a band, and the fireworks company that may also play a part in our decisions. Entire Virtual Experience - Band and Fireworks take place at a location of their choice and streamed live on facebook and instagram Continue to have the Fireworks, but create a GRID like system in our parks only allowing families to occupy their square in the grid, each square would be 6ft from each.  We don't like this option due to lack of control. We have also considered an IN-VEHICLE viewing only (we are worried about the side streets and people getting out of their cars unexpectedly We have considered moving the fireworks the night of our Christmas Parade, however, there is not a great location for the fireworks to be shot off near downtown.  We are considering moving the Band to a downtown concert of it's own in the Fall We may be back to some type of normalcy in July, but I am worried there will still be restriction for large groups, events, etc.. Please let me know if you have any other ideas that pop up!    
by Mebane Recreation & Parks
Tuesday, April 21, 2020
Credit Card Processing Fees 4 A. WEBSTER We do not pass along the fee to customers for using credit/debit cards.
by E. AUSTIN
Friday, April 17, 2020
Summer Camp - beginning in June 3 I. Lubben As of now our camp is scheduled to start the 2nd week of June. We are still planning trips and activities at the camps and hiring staff. We are currently doing phone interviews for the positions, but we have a lot of returning summer staff this year.We are definitely skeptical if we will hold a full 10 week camp and the possibility that some old practices and max camp capacity numbers might but altered this summer.Good Luck, Stay Safe
by C. Hall
Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Summer Camp Hiring 0 E. Burrill With the current stay at home orders in effect till end of April, I'm looking at ways to brainstorm adjusting hiring practices for summer camp. We typically run group interviews of 8-12 candidates through a series of activities to demonstrate leadership, creativity, teamwork, etc. We have these set for early May, however preparing for a backup plan, if we are unable to have in-person interviews. What are others planning ?
by E. Burrill
Thursday, April 2, 2020