Easy, quick ideas for a healthier agency now!
While large-scale projects are great, don't be discouraged if you don't have the resources to tackle a large project right away. Here are some easy things you can do to promote wellness if your agency right now:
Ideas for the community
- Post wellness tips in community centers (you can even take them from the Wellness Bulletin).
- Healthy snack day at community center (provide healthy snack to each participant, or work with your vending company to have a healthy food week).
- Short health lesson with a healthy snack in afterschool programs.
- Mini health fair (blood pressure checks, hearing screening, stress relief, healthy food samples) at community center.
- Start monthly health newsletter, or add a wellness section to your existing newsletter.
Ideas for staff
- Healthy food at staff meetings.
- Start a staff walking club or weekly yoga lesson.
- Fruit Fridays! Bring a different fruit to staff one Friday each month for a snack. Include a healthy recipe if you wish.
- Get someone to come from the local hospital or health department to lead a staff training about nutrition.
- Create or promote space for staff to eat lunch or take breaks outside, and/or utilize parks and greenways during breaks.
- Add physical activity to staff meetings (aerobics, pick-up kickball, etc.), or even have the entire meeting while walking (works best for smaller groups)!
- Staff bike to work day.
- Pick up veggies from the farmer’s market (or harvest them from your garden) to share with staff.
Check out our Wellness Webinar: 10 Ways to Improve Wellness in Your Department Now!. You can also try one of the bigger ideas in the toolkit. Remember to share any projects you have completed with NCRPA!
Back to toolkit home