Workshop Time: 8:30am – 3:45pm
Cost: $50.00 for NCRPA members (includes snacks and lunch)
$65.00 for non-members (includes snacks and lunch)
Pesticide Credits: 3 hours credit - L N D X (Must bring current NC Pesticide License and be present for entire seminar to receive credits) No CEUs will be offered
Beverages sponsored and provided by Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated
Snacks sponsored and provided by Gold Medal - Carolina
Lunch by Mac’s Speed Shop (BBQ) Tentative
PLANT HEALTH CARE SEMINAR
8:30 Welcome and Introductions –
8:45 Tour of Bartlett Arboretum and Research and Demonstration Areas Greg Paige, Bruce Fraedrich, Brian Frierson
- Pest and urban stress resistant plant species that perform well in NC Piedmont
- Common pests affecting Piedmont NC plants; identification, biology and management.
- Key cultural practices to manage plant stress-emphasis on proper mulching and urban soil management.
10:15 Break – Coffee, Water, Soft Drinks, Popcorn, and Assorted Snacks (Provided by Coca-Cola and Gold Medal-Carolina)
10:30 Concurrent Sessions: Two 45 minute presentations that are repeated for each group. Time is added in for walking to each station.
I.Tour of Diagnostic Clinic: the diagnostic process, insect and diseases under the microscope and the importance of diagnostics as the first step in Integrated Pest Management. Megan McConnell and Andrew Loyd, Chris Bechtel
II.Tree Planting Procedures: Demonstrate techniques for planting container grown trees and bare-root stock. Lisa Holmes
12:15 Lunch – BBQ from Mac’s Speed Shop (Tentative)
1:00 Concurrent Sessions: Two 60 minute presentations that are repeated for each group. Time is added in for walking to each station.
I.Structural Pruning of Young Trees: Demonstration and Discussion: Elden LeBrun and Brian Frierson
II.Invasive Species Management: Demonstration and Discussion-Bruce Fraedrich
- Identification of key invasive weeds
- Products and Techniques for chemical management of invasive woody plants
- Review demonstration plots where invasive weeds have been treated.
3:15 Questions and Answers and Discussions over refreshments.