The beginning of a new year is a great time to create new programs and ideas for the upcoming year. Today’s blog focuses on how to improve your department’s health by creating an employee wellness program. What exactly is an employee wellness program? An employee wellness program, also called a “worksite wellness program,” is a program designed to promote and support the health, safety, and well-being of employees. Establishing an employee wellness program is a motivating way to start off the New Year promoting unity and healthy choices within your department.
Why develop an employee wellness programs? A wellness program has many positive attributes such as improving staff health, morale and productivity. Also supporting the staff to make healthy lifestyle choices will encourage them to be role models for the community.
What are some components of an employee wellness program? Some components include providing wellness newsletters, health risk assessments, health screenings, workshops on wellness issues, walking or running groups, health fairs, physical activity breaks, and fitness classes. Other incentives to remain healthy include: water bottles, insulated lunch bags, stress balls or cookbooks! Employees may have other ideas in your department, so ask around!
The next step is knowing how to start an employee wellness program. Here are some of the basic steps to getting a program started: (More resources can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/ogxjrgw
1. Contact Human Resources to see if a program exists and how it can be implemented in your department, or how they can assist you in starting one.
2. Develop a staff advisory committee to coordinate and plan the program.
3. Conduct a needs and resources assessment. Determining employee needs, interests, concerns and schedules will help outline the structure of the wellness program.
4. Develop program components and activities based on findings of the needs assessment.
5. Include incentives to encourage employee participation.
6. Notify employees of the program through flyers, e-mails, payroll stuffers, and posters.
7. Implement the program.
8. Evaluate the program!
This is just one of many ideas for healthy living programs to create during the upcoming year. Our upcoming webinar will focus on another 8 program ideas for 2015 conducted by NCRPA on January 28th, 11:30am; Register here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/171568608.
If you have any new ideas for employee wellness programs, please email us or submit them on the wellness site here: (email@example.com,http://www.ncrpa.net/?Wellnesssub)